History of Cupar Golf Club
Cupar Golf Club is arguably the oldest surviving 9 hole golf club in the country. It was instituted at a meeting in the County Buildings, Cupar on Monday 7th November 1855.
The clubs first records indicate that by 1867 there were 37 members playing over a six hole course at Tailabout on part of a farm where ‘permission to exercise twice a week’ was given by the farmer. The course had been laid out by Allan Robertson of St Andrews and a description states: - The first stroke was over the river Eden, the second hole was over water running out from Tailabout Mill, the third was near the railway bridge, being about the width of a road between the two waters, the fourth returned over the same ground, the fifth was to a corner called the triangle and the sixth was from the triangle across the Eden to Thomastown. When play was going on, six or more boys were placed on both sides of the water with long handled nets to retrieve lost balls.
After playing this unique course for 21 years, the members ‘fell out’ with the farmer and moved to Springfield Gardens. When Ladybank Golf Club opened at Annsmuir in about 1876 the members went there to play, retaining their identity and enjoying the privilege railway ticket of 6p return.
With a growing interest in golf in the town, the Hill Tarvit club was formed in 1892, renting the present course from the Tarvit Estate, while the Cupar Club continued to play at Ladybank.
In 1896 the two clubs amalgamated as Cupar Golf Club and work commenced to redesign the course to play across the hill and avoid the direct climbs of the original layout
On Saturday, 21st December 1907 the present clubhouse was opened having cost £600 to complete.
In August 1935 a proposal came before the members to extend the course to 18 holes. However the estimated cost of £10,000 was considered more than the club could face and no further action was taken.
When the new lease was signed in 1936, the clause prohibiting Sunday golf was omitted but it was not until 1955 that the members voted to play on Sundays.
It is natural that a club with such a lengthy history should possess many valuable trophies. The Peripatetic Cup, dating back to the last century, is on display in the St Andrews Golf Museum. Colonel Hutchison of Fife Militia (the Club’s captain in 1855) gifted the Hutchison Medal in 1856. At this time the course was only 6 holes, so competitors had to play 3 rounds. Robert Richardson of Restalrig House presented one of the most cherished trophies to the club in 1864, the Victoria Medal for Autumn Competition (scratch). In later years members have donated additional trophies and a vast array of silverware now exists to cater for the very competitive nature of the club's members.